Lately, my writing has gone inward. All I want to do right now is to write in my journal, to reconnect to and renew my commitment to the first kind of writing I ever did. And that’s what I’ve been doing the past few months, with all thoughts of fiction-writing (or essays or memoir or blogging) seemingly out the window. And that’s okay. But I have to say, I have missed blogging. Blogging is a kind of digital diary, and I don’t want to let it go completely.
In keeping with the personal journalling theme of my life right now, and since I’m such a lover of lists, I decided to try to post a top ten list once a week or so. The lists could be just about anything, but I’ll try to make it interesting. Feel free to list your own answers in the comments; this could be fun!
Here’s my first list:
List ten reasons you write (or draw or paint or play music, or whatever art form you pursue).
- I love stories (fictional or personal) and love to tell my own in writing.
- It makes me feel like I have a voice (I often feel like no one listens to me).
- I was the quiet kid (and adult, too).
- I’m better at writing than speaking.
- It’s my form of immortality.
- I can live vicariously through my characters.
- It’s the shy person’s alternative to acting.
- I have a compulsion to fill blank lines.
- Whole worlds live inside me.
- It’s a good excuse to sit in cafes and sip coffee.
Why do you do the thing you love?